Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Reflection- Digital Book Talk

I put quite a bit of effort into this digital book talk project. My first decision I had to make was which book to choose. I considered using an older children’s book because I hope to teach an older grade but I had a lot of difficulty coming up with ways to present a book digitally that didn’t have any pictures. This caused me to switch over to a children’s picture book for lack of a better reason than feeling like it would be easier to work with. I laid out all my books on my bed and slowly ruled them out one at a time until I was left with 2, The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash and Hey Al . Most of my books are from when I was a child and I treasure each one. I went with The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash because I felt that Hey Al was a little too strange of a book for me to be able to describe in 45 seconds.

This task gave me some more experience working with video makers, Windows Movie Maker to be more specific. I feel this is a valuable skill to have because it could help me in the future to create valuable lessons that I will be able to use in my classroom. These types of lessons could be helpful for my students because they will provide them with differentiated instruction. Using various mediums to teach helps to keep instruction more interesting and I feel that movies are a great way to mix it up. Also, the more I use these types of media creators the better I will become at making videos and the more I will learn about how to make the videos interesting and effective In a classroom.

Overall I enjoyed doing this project. It was surprisingly easy to use the Windows movie maker and I would be more than willing to try and use a different type of movie maker some time as well. I can already tell that I’m going to like doing most of the projects for this class and I look forward to learning about what it is we will be doing this week. One thing I didn’t like about my book talk was that I couldn’t figure out a way to use a music file as well as my audio file. I think I may have recorded my voice in the wrong file type and that’s why the program wouldn’t let me use more than one audio file at a time. If I had figured out a way to add music to the background of my digital book talk I would have been a little more satisfied with it. Other than that little bit, however, I felt that the book talk project went very well and I am happy with my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment