Chapter 2 is the chapter that Tiffany and I will be presenting on so I feel that I learned quite a bit more from it than I would from a typical chapter I read in a text book. This is most likely because I’m only comfortable presenting something if I feel prepared, therefore I prepare myself for presentations fairly well. Basically this chapter was about how teachers should utilize the resources now available in their classrooms in order to promote effective, reflective, comprehensive learning with technology.
One of the biggest points in the chapter was about how to get students to successfully complete intentional information searching. According to the book students must first plan, use strategies to search, evaluate and triangulate sources in order to become competent in using the internet for information searches. I never really thought about having a lesson to teach students how to do research on line but it makes sense to me that this is a very important thing that must happen. There are so many crazy websites on the internet that I could see a naïve student being fooled into believing an outrageous accusation or simply an incorrect fact. Teaching students how to differentiate between credible and non credible sites will help them not only when doing research but in real life as well. Just as you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet, you shouldn’t believe everything people tell you. I feel that a strong background in checking and double checking facts and information will provide for a smarter, less gullible, future generation of students.
I’m not really sure how I feel about the idea of firewalls. Although I know there are many offensive, inappropriate websites out there I also agree that we are not “protecting” students form them by blocking them. We are, however, helping them realize that they shouldn’t be trying to get to them in places like school or the library. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a type of firewall that is given on a punishment basis. Provide full access to the internet for all students. When a student is caught breaking a rule then turn on the firewall for that particular student’s account. I can see how this would be an issue though since it would require each student having their own account and password although I foresee this happing in most schools in the future anyways.
No comments:
Post a Comment