Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chapter 9 Reflection

Chapter 9 "visualizing with technologies" is a presentation of five kinds of visualization tools: digital cameras and mobile phones, video productions, video modeling and feedback. I can see myself using many of these tools in my future classroom. Since i want to teach high school biology I think that programs like McSpartan would be especially beneficial for my students. This program enables learners to visualize molecules using five different representations but it is also very interactive because it also enables the student to test different bonds to create ions and new molecules. This type of program could help foster understanding of chemistry among students who many not be able to grasp it otherwise since it is such an abstract subject and idea. The chapter also discusses various ways to visualize mathematical ideas with technologies which i can imagine being very helpful for all students, not just students with difficulties in math. I was fortunate enough to have a graphing calculator in school and this allowed me to visualize the complex formulas and problems we were working with in math. I believe the fact that graphing calculators have a positive influence ons students understanding of math because i experienced this. This book has an overlaying point that any technology can become a powerful learning tool when students are critical users and producers rather than consumers. It's apparent to me that technology can function as visual protheses and I hope to foster all of the ones available to me in my classroom to their fullest extent in order to benefit my students as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment