Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chapter 5 - Reflection

Chapter 5 "Modeling with Technologies" is about using computers as mindtools for building models of meaning. I thought the chapter was a little less interesting than previous ones but informative none the less. I can't say that using mindtools to engage different kinds of thinking is a relatively new idea for me nor is the fact that simple computer recall questions aren't the most effective teaching tools. One thing that I did discover while reading this chapter though is that constructing technology mediated models is among the most conceptually engaging tasks that students can undertake. I find this incredibly encouraging because although I feel that technology is often encouraged to be explored and used in the classroom, i've heard very little debate about how technology is needed in the classroom in order to provide conceptually engaging activities. I bet that there will be a dramatic increase in studies surrounding the positive, and probably negative effects, that technology is having on our students. This thought caused me to wonder about how behind or advanced america is in regard to other countries use of technology in the classroom. I know our nation has been struggling at the bottom of the education list despite our high rank as an advanced first world country. I wonder if this development in education could be what we need to catch up to the higher ranked education countries. I look forward to hearing more about this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment